Friday, February 26, 2016

2016 Comics Challenge 103 Classics Illustrated #04 Last of the Mohicans

TITLE-Classics Illustrated #04 Last of the Mohicans
PUBLISHER-Gilberton Comics

Growing up I heard about Classics Illustrated from my parents and their siblings. From the fall of 1941 until spring 1969,Gilberton published a total of 166 issues.  Most of which went thru many many print runs. My copy of issue 4 is a 14th or later printing.

From what I have been told kids used these comics like how people my age used Cliff's Notes. Instead of reading the book you got assigned in school you could pay 10 to 15 cents and get a comic book version of it.Now I have never read the novel this comic is based on,but from what I can find seems like this comic book adaptation follows the book fairly closely.

The cover on this issue has some great artwork. I do wish I knew who did it. It is much much better than the interior artwork.As you can see from the picture my copy isn't in the best shape. Hell the cover isn't even attached to the comic any more.

So how did I get this comic that came out at least 20 years before I was born? A few years back I met a guy who collected VHS. Mostly wanting horror,science fiction and cartoons on VHS. One of my neighbors had been given a bunch of VHS by their kids. And I got told to come over and grab whatever I wanted. So I ended up trading a stack of VHS for right at 20 issues of Classic Illustrated. All of them were a bit beat up. But that doesn't matter to me. Finally after right at 40 years of hearing about these comics I got to read a bunch of them.

Classic Illustrated #04 Last of the Mohicans gets a borrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment