Saturday, March 28, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge Book 049 Top 100 Horror Movies

TITLE-Top 100 Horror Movies
AUTHOR-Gary Gerani
FORMAT-Trade Paperback
FIRST TIME READING-No
COST-$17.37

During one of the Science Fiction book clubs sales I ordered this oversized book.From IDW's book publishing arm it is a list of the top 100 horror movies of all time. I loved the Bravo made 100 scariest movie moments show. And figured since IDW does good comics this book would be of the same quality.

Now any list of top 100 horror films there will be films whoever is reading it will think don't belong on the list. But then there is also horror films that 90% of horror fans believe deserve to be on a top 100 list. With this book there was two films that stood out to me because they were not on the list. Those are first up Phantasm. Now I would personally have it in my top 5. But most horror fans would agree it should be in the top 100. The other film is one that almost every horror fan will agree is a modern classic. And it not being on the top 100 list causes this book to lose major amounts of credibility. That film is the original Dawn of the Dead. Yes Dawn of the Dead isn't in the author's top 100. Even horror fans that don't like Dawn still think it is a top 100 film. Hell I hate the Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby,but if I was making a list of the top 50 horror movies ever they would be on the list.

Then you got films on this list that puzzle me why they made the list. The one big one is Tim Burton's Sweeny Todd. To me it isn't a horror film.And  in my eyes there is no reason this over rated Gothic shite gets on the list when a true classic like Dawn isn't on the list.

My other complaint about the book is what the author chose for number 1. People that know me know I am not a fan of most of the Hammer horror films. So when I saw that Horror of Dracula was number 1 I was shocked.Going in I figured one of the following would be number 1. Stuff like the Exorcist,Psycho,the original Night of the Living Dead or the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The author explains a bit why he chose Horrors of Dracula. And I do agree it's influence and impact on the horror genre are big.

One thing I do love about this book is all the great pictures. They are all nice and clear. I also like how for each film they list it's original aspect ratio. This is something I haven't seen before in a book of movie reviews. And it is something I wish was done more often.

Top 100 Horror Movies gets a 2.72 outta 5

No comments:

Post a Comment