Saturday, March 28, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge Book 047 Asia Shock

TITLE-Asia Shock
AUTHOR-Patrick Galloway
FORMAT-Trade Paperback
FIRST TIME READING-Nope
COST-$13.85

Back in 2008 I was ordering the first Cinema Sewer book off Amazon. I wanted to add something to the order so I would get free shipping. Saw this book and took a chance.

Before reading this collection of 47 reviews I had seen maybe 10 Asian films Since reading this book I have watched many many more.

The author does a good job of not only describing the films. But putting them in the proper cultural context. Which is very helpful when dealing with cinema from countries you don't know much about.

Most of what is covered is horror,dark fantasy and black comedies. And I am a fan of two of those genres. With fantasy films just being a genre that while I don't hate it,I am not a huge fan  of.

Mr Galloway also gives lots of background info on stuff like the infamous Hong Kong Category III rating,directors like Takashi Miike,and all kinds of great bits of history on the film industries in the various Asian countries.

The only real flaw with the book is something that couldn't be avoided. When this book came out the Asian horror explosion hadn't yet happened in the States. So finding some of the movies mentioned wasn't that easy. So Patrick gives a list of websites where you can buy or find out more info on the various films he covers. Of course with this book being from years back lots of these websites do not exist anymore.But as I said this couldn't be avoided.

Asia Shock gets a 2.98 outta 5

No comments:

Post a Comment