Sunday, October 27, 2013

31 Days of Horror Movie 31

Man Thing
2005
Lionsgate DVD

I am a huge fan of Man-Thing. Discovered him years ago. Mostly thanks to the fanboy jokes about "Giant Sized Man-Thing". But once I started reading the comics I realized how great they are. So when I heard there was going to be a film based on them I was pretty damn excited. Sadly even amongst comic fans people think of Man-Thing as a knock off of Swamp Thing. And while they do share some similarities they are very different.

Sadly the film isn't that good. Man-Thing is just this brainless swamp creature. He was never a scientist. And lots of the subtext from the comics is missing. Plus for some reason the setting has been moved from the Florida everglades to the Louisiana bayous. The Bayous are Swamp Thing's territory not Man-Things.

The FX work is ok. Same with the acting. I don't think this did well. It premiered on SciFi channel in the States. But I think overseas it might have played in some theaters. I grabbed the DVD because I found it cheap. Plus I was hoping on a second viewing I might enjoy it more. That didn't happen. I bet if you haven't read the comics you might enjoy it much more than I did.

Man-Thing gets a D+.

No comments:

Post a Comment