Sunday, October 27, 2013

31 Days of Horror Movie 29

Dracula
1931
Universal DVD

I first saw this film years ago when I was 3 or 4. I really don't remember much about seeing it that time. Then years later when the SciFi Channel first hit the airwaves they were showing it. I stayed up late one Sunday night to watch it and to be honest wasn't impressed. I was about 16 and the slow pace of the film bored me.

Years later one Halloween night while I was passing out candy I saw that Turner Classic Movies was showing all the Universal classics.So I had them on. And this time I actually enjoyed Dracula.

I am sure most people reading this know the plot.Renfield goes to Transylvania. He goes to the Count's castle and ends up getting bit. So Dracula and Renfield come to England.

Now I totally understand why this film is considered a classic. And the performances from Bela Lugosi,as Dracula, and Dwight Frye,as Renfield, are outstanding. But the rest of the cast isn't good. The movie feels more like someone filmed a stage play.

The has some interesting extras. There is a commentary that is loaded with all kinds of info. A nice documentary. Plus it includes the semi infamous "Spanish" version of Dracula. At night on the same sets a Spanish language version of Dracula was filmed. And in my eyes besides the guy playing Dracula the rest of the cast is much better.

Dracula gets a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment