Thursday, February 9, 2012

Black History Month 2012 fourth movie

I'm gonna git you sucka
MGM DVD
1988

This is the movie that introduced me to the Wayons family. Now before seeing this film I had seen a few of the various 70's blaxploitation films. But not that many really. So I am sure on the first viewing lots of the various jokes and spoofs went right over my head. It didn't matter this became one of my favorite comedies. For some reason it seemed like this film never aired on any of the movie channels I got. So I had forgotten about it till sometime in the early 90s Fox aired it as a movie of the week. I watched it,and Fox had edited the shit outta it,and fell back in love with it.

Keenon Wayons plays Jack Spade,he is coming home on leave from the army and finds out his brother has OG'd. That means his brother died from wearing too much gold. So Jack goes on a crusade to find out who is selling all this gold. He ends up teaming up with Bernie Casey and with help from Bernie and his friends they try to take down Mr Big.

What makes this film stand out so much is all the appearances from the stars of  all the older blaxploitation films.You got Jim Brown,Issac Hayes,Antonio Fargas and many others. Fargas is a stand out as Fly Guy. He is a former pimp that has spent the last decade in jail. And the scene when he gets outta jail and puts on his oh so 70's pimp outfit is one of the funniest moments in the entire film.

Usually with a spoof film they hit you with so many jokes that outta every 5,2 or 3 of them fail. Not so in I'm gonna git you sucka,besides one over long scene with a young Chris Rock every joke hits it's point. One of my favorite scenes is when the guys go to take down the Big Brim bar. Where everyone is wearing a huge hat. And under most of these hats a midget is hiding. Midgets always make me laugh and this scene made me laugh so hard my sides were hurting.

Now the print on the DVD looks great. The sound is good. But the only extra is a theatrical trailer. I wish they had done a commentary with the Wayons brothers and maybe some of the other stars. But since I got this DVD for around 4 bucks I won't complain too much about the lack of extras. I'm gonna git you sucka gets a A.

No comments:

Post a Comment