Tuesday, November 15, 2016

2016 Comic Challenge 277 Nevada #01

TITLE-Nevada #01
PUBLISHER-Vertigo an imprint of DC Comics

Look at that cover. You got the Vegas lights,and Egyptian themed dancing girl and a fucking ostrich.When I walked into Lynn's Comics in Nederland Texas back in the spring of 98 and saw the cover I knew I was gonna buy it. Then I look close,Steve Gerber is the writer. And Gerber is a writer that should be mentioned whenever people are talking about the best comic writers of all time. But sadly that rarely happens. Honestly before reading this issue I knew nothing about the cover artist and interior penciler Phil Winslade.I do love his art.

The story is fairly simple. A Vegas showgirl,who has a pet ostrich,is the only thing that can prevent the end of the world. Someone is killing people in Vegas in really weird ways.

For me the back story to this series is as good if not better than the series. Back when Gerber was writing Howard the Duck he got way behind on his deadline. So one issue of Howard was just huge blocks of text with various artists doing pictures to go along with theses walls of text. One page had a Vegas showgirl an ostrich and an evil lamp all fighting.The story is for years Neil Gaiman begged Gerber to tell him more of the story of the showgirl,lamp and ostrich.So right at 20 years later we got the 6 issue Nevada series from Vertigo.

Anyways if you like Gerber grab a trade of this series.I doubt it is that expensive,and it is worth it for the art alone.

Nevada gets a buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment