Monday, August 29, 2016

2016 Comic Challenge 240 Adventure Comics #463

TITLE-Adventure Comics #463
PUBLISHER-DC Comics

Look at that line up on the cover. Flash,Wonder Woman,DEADMAN!!!,Aquaman,Dr Fate!!!!,Powergirl!!!! and Jay Garrick Flash. FUck that is beautiful.Then the added bonus of this being 68 pages and NO ADS COVER TO COVER!! And all for a buck. Makes me miss the early days of my comic collecting habit. Not that in 79 would I have spent a buck on a comic. Hell no! My weekly allowance was only a buck. I could get 2 comics for that price.

For years I had heard of Spanish Trail Books in Gautier MS. But never knew where it was located.Then right at 10 years ago I was in Biloxi going to have lunch with an Aunt who worked at a bank in downtown Biloxi. On the ride there I saw that there was a Spanish Trail Books right down the street from the bank. So after eating I came back and went inside to see what all they had. After meeting and talking to the owner for a bit she tells me "Most of the comics are in the back room. Go on  back and take a look." I go look and there is 20 longboxes of Silver and Bronze age DC and Marvel stuff.Most of it in great shape. But no prices. I asked her about the prices and got told "I have no clue what he wants for them just make an offer." Knowing I couldn't afford any of that stuff I was happy when I found a box of reader copies of piles of late 70s and early 80s stuff.Having had loved Adventure Comics,thanks to reading it during it's digest days as a kid,I grabbed this issue. Having no idea what it was worth I figure offering her 3 bucks was decent and she would more than likely want at least 5 for it,which I was willing to pay. I bring it up to the counter. She looks at it "How about cover price?" I happily hand her the buck and head out. Planning on coming back anytime I was in the area. Sadly not long after that the entire store got fire and smoke damage and closed down.

Honestly the stories and art are pretty standard late 70s DC. By that time DC was actually producing some superhero stuff I enjoyed reading. The JSA and Deadman stories are the best in the issue. I might be a bit biased but the Aquaman story is the worst.

Adventure Comics #463 gets a borrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment