Monday, March 7, 2016

2016 Comic Challenge 120 American Splendor:TransAtlantic Comics #01

TITLE-American Splendor:TransAtlantic Comics #01
PUBLISHER-Dark Horse Comics


While I had known about the late Harvey Pekar and American Splendor,first discovering them when Harvey appeared on Late Night with David Letterman,for a few years I had never read an issue.In 98 I was going to a comic shop in Nederland TX. It was run by a family.The wife was an artist and had set up her art studio in the back of the shop. By the time this comic came out I had been going to the shop for a bit over a year,and the husband and wife both knew what types of comics I enjoy reading. So they had started on the weeks when my comic order didn't hit the limit I had set for myself,picking out 1 or 2 comics that they thought I would enjoy. "Read them and if you enjoy them please buy the next issue. If you don't like them bring them back and I will refund your money in store credit." So this American Splendor 1 shot was mixed in with the comics I had ordered.

This issue was written by Harvey Pekar.And the main story based on a letter he got from a fan in the UK. This fan suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. And wrote to Harvey explaining how Mr Pekars stories in the comics had helped him through some hard times.

While there is two other stories in the comic,it was this lead story that really touched me.Having quite a few friends that either have some form of autism or have kids with it,I could somewhat understand what the fan in the UK was trying to express to Harvey.

Sadly Harvey ended up dying right after my birthday in 2010. But thankfully because of the movie American Splendor,Harvey was better known that he had ever been. To me Harvey should be talked about whenever anyone mentions great American writers. And in comics history he will be remembered as the person that made autobiographical comics a huge thing.

American Splendor:TransAtlantic Comics #01 gets a buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment