Thursday, February 11, 2016

2016 Comic Challenge 067 Americomics Special #01 Sentinels of Justice

TITLE-Americomics Special #01 Sentinels of Justice
PUBLISHER-AC Comics

Out of all the comics AC/Americomics has put out this has to be the most infamous. The company is pretty much known for their long running Femforce series. But back in the early 80s,cover date August 1983,they got the rights to the Charlton Action Heroes. You know people like Blue Beetle,Captain Atom,Nightshade and The Question. And AC planned on using these four heroes as the building block of their new superhero universe. But ,and the story varies every time I hear it,not long after this issue came out DC comics bought the rights to all the old Charlton properties. So this issue and one other,that was a spotlight on Blue Beetle,were the only things AC did with the Charlton Action Heroes.

So how is the comic? Dan St. John is the writer. And Greg Gulier & Matt "Cynical Man" Feazell handling the art chores. The story reads like Dan had a lot planned out with these heroes. And is pretty much 25 pages of set up. Which sadly leads to nothing.

Like I mentioned in my review of Worlds Unknown #06 there are certain comics I must find in a comic shop or at a con. And this was one of them. I had looked for years. Only finding it once at a con. And the dealer wanting $15 for it. Then back sometime in 2009 or so I was in 5 Alarm Comics in Diberville MS. The owner mentions he had just bought a huge collection. "So there is lots of 80s and 90s indy comics in the cheap bins." He knows my love of 80s and 90s indy superhero comics. And showed me which box of the cheap bins had the start of this new assortment of comics. And after about 5 minutes of flipping thru the box I found this issue and the other AC comic,the one starring Blue Beetle I mentioned earlier. Now normally in the cheap bins if it isn't bagged it is a buck. If it is bagged it is half off the lowest sticker price. This was bagged and I look and the sticker price is $15. With the other issue have a $10 sticker. So I am thinking it is gonna be 12 bucks or so for me to get both. But the owner being the nice guy he is let me have both for a buck a piece.

Americomics Special #01 Sentinels of Justice gets a borrow. Unless you are a huge Charlton Action Heroes fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment