Friday, October 17, 2014

31 Days of Horror Day 17 Castle Freak

Castle Freak-R rated cut
Echo Bridge Entertainment DVD
1995

I saw this not that long after it hit VHS back in the mid 90s. Just another film that proves the morons that repeat over and over how "NO GOOD HORROR CAME OUT IN THE 90s" are full of shit Boz. I had been wanting to re-watch this film.The above pictured pack was $5. So I got 4 films I didn't own already,The Reflecting Skin,The Faculty,Immortality and Castle Freak.

Somewhat based on the classic HP Lovecraft short story The Outsider. We get a good mid 90s Full Moon film from Stuart Gordon. Having seen a few "adaptations" of Lovecraft from Gordon,I went in expecting something entertaining.

Now sure I saw this back in 95,but I remembered almost nothing about it. I remembered Jeffrey Combs having a wreck that blinded his daughter. The Castle Freak looking decent. And a weird scene between Combs and a hooker.

Pretty sure I saw the uncut VHS years ago. And really no clue if that version is out on DVD. But this R rated cut was pretty bloody. The Freak still looks great and I was surprised that Barbara Crampton plays the mother.

So really if you see this pack for $5 grab it. You got 3 good films, and watchable films. Castle Freak R Rated cuts gets a B-.




No comments:

Post a Comment