Friday, October 31, 2014

31 Days of Horror 2014 Halloween Extra movie 03

The Beast Within
Source-MGM Midnite Movies Double Feature DVD

As far as I know this is the only horror film set in North Mississippi and filmed in North Mississippi. Starring Ronny Cox,no relation, and with an early role for the late Meshach Taylor. This is the story about an 18 year old young man. Who finds out his mother was raped by some half man half beast creature. His parents take him to the small town this happened in. And he starts changing into a similar creature.

It feels like most of the non-main cast is made up of people from the area they filmed in. Growing up and spending 95% of my life in the deep south I can usually tell when someone is doing a fake southern accent. No one in this film seems to be doing that. The FX work is great. Lots of well done bladder effects. And the acting is really good.I really enjoy Meshach as the town deputy. He perfectly captures the more laid back feel that the cops I know in small southern towns have. I also like how they show the townfolks fear of outsiders. I have run into this in many small southern towns.Where if you didn't grow up there and/or haven't lived there for at least 10 years people are leery of you.I want to find the novel by Edward Levy the film is based on.

This Midnite Movie Double Feature edition has no extras. But the film looks and sounds great. Now all these MGM Midnite Movie DVDs are technically out of print. But I see them brand new for sale in stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General. It was at a Family Dollar 2 months ago I found this and 5 other of the double features. With them being $3.The Beast Within gets a B-.




No comments:

Post a Comment