Saturday, June 22, 2013

TMNT and Me

That is the cover to the third printing of the original TMNT comic book. I got this right after it came out . So I was around the age of 14. And loved it. But since the comic didn't come out often and at the time I couldn't get to the comic shop every month I missed lots of issues.

Then a year or so later found this at the Walden's Books in the mall.

So once the cartoon started I was already into the original version of the Turtles. I watched the cartoon and while it wasn't horrible it was so different from the comic. I even bought the first year or so of the Archie Comics published TMNT comic. But what I really wanted was more of the Eastman and Laird comics. Then the first live action film  came out. I took my two younger cousins. Going in not expecting to enjoy it. But I was surprised when it wasn't bad. Still a little cartoony but more like the comic I liked.

Well the toyline of course was huge for years. But I never got any. I had pretty much stopped buying toys at the time. Then in the mid 90s all the thrift stores in my area started getting in piles of the figures. So I started grabbing a bunch. Usually loose and costing me a quarter or 50 cents.

Here's some of my favorites. I don't own most of them anymore.

Panda Khan-Got him loose last year at Wesson for a buck.
I don't remember him from the comics or cartoon, So I just assume he is some kind of panda Samuari.

Mondo Gecko-Got him loose from a Thrift Store. Lost him sadly in a move a few years back.





Ace Duck-Another I never saw in the comic or cartoon. But I remember him be easy to find in thrift stores for years.

"Drill "Sergent" Leonardo-No idea what this one's real name is. But I was given him right after I finished Army BCT. And have held onto him for years now.
Genghis Frog-Had him and Napoleon Bonafrog for years. But lost both in a move. So grabbed this one a few weeks back for a buck.
Punk Rock Donatello-This is my second one of these. Got a loose one years ago at a thrift store. Then in the late 90s Big Lots and Kay Bee Toys started stocking old ass TMNT figures. So bought another to have all the accessorizes. Well lost those over the years but still have the figure.




I got into and loved the early 2000 Fox Kids TMNT cartoon. Back when Cartoon Network was showing it every day I would come home from work and watch that and Teen Titans. I loved how the FoxKids cartoon was much closer to the b/w comic. Plus the great Jack Kirby tribute episode.

As far as teh comic. I read the b/w one off and on when I could find it. But sometime in the mid 90s I stopped reading it. The Archie version I read for a little over 2 years. And it wasn't bad,even if it was based off the original cartoon. Now Nick owns the Turtles ,the new cartoon is getting rave reviews. But I still haven't seen it. Currently the only TMNT comics I have is when they teamed up with Savage Dragon. But I do want to get the trades of the early stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment