Monday, February 11, 2013

Multipak Mondays 003

Universal 100th Anniversary spotlight collection Classic Monsters
Universal Studios
$8

Unlike the previous multipaks this one has 4 films that most people have heard of. I got it for X-mas this year. From one of my amazing Aunts.

Dracula-1931- 85 minutes The classic with Bela Lugosi in the lead role. Now I am not a huge fan of this film. Besides Bela and Dwight Frye I don't find any of the other actors/actresses to be very good. But Bela and Dwight keep the film from being a total bust.But anyone that considers themselves a fan of the horror genre of film needs to see this at least once. I love the commentary by David J. Skal. And there is a decent documentary about the film.

Frankenstein-1931-71 minutes First saw this film when I was 4. My mother and I had helped my Aunt and Uncle move to Texas. And my Uncle was excited cause Frankenstein was going to be airing on TV one day. So I watched it with him and became fascinated with Frankenstein's monster. Boris Karloff is great as the monster.Colin Clive is good as Dr Frankenstein and Dwight Frye turns in an amazing performance as Fritz. I have watched this film at least 10 times over the years. Like Dracula this includes a commentary,this time by Rudy Behimer.

The Bride of Frankenstein-1935-75 minutes  This is my second favorite of the classic Universal Horror films. I actually read a novelization of the film long before I saw it. Then late one night in the early 90s I saw SciFi channel was airing it. So I sat down to watch it. Karloff and Clive return as the Monster and Dr Frankenstein. The great Dwight Frye plays a henchman of Dr  Pretorius and as always Frye does a great job. The last 20 minutes of the film are breath taking. And like the last two films we get a commentary.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon-1954-79 minutes Originally released in theaters in 3d,this is the final film in the Universal monsters films. The Gill-man has always been a favorite of mine. And he was popular enough to get two sequels. Neither of which are as good as the original. The stunningly beauty Julie Adams stars as the love interest in this film. And she has a look that is both of it's time and timeless. I really want to see this in 3d at least once. But I think the only home release in 3d is the new Blu Ray release. And like the other 3 films in this pack we get a commentary.

Now I see this pack selling for 8 to 15 bucks online and it is worth that. All 4 films have great transfers and all the extras are interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment