Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 days of Horror 2012 day 21



Lovecraft fear of the unknown
2008
Documentary Channel airing

I first heard of H.P. Lovecraft after seeing Reanimator with my Uncle. He told me it was based on a Lovecraft story. So next time I was at the library I found a collection of Lovecraft's stories. Read them and at that young age most of them didn't appeal to me much. Years later after hearing so many authors I love talk about how much they liked Lovecraft,I read some more of his work. And loved it.

This documentary,while it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know,is a fun watch. Some well known people like Neil Gaiman,Ramsey Campbell and Guillermo del Toro. The documentary is a nice walk through Lovecraft's life and all his influences. Plus loaded with info about his unusual views on society.My favorite part has to be when various people try to pronounce Cthulhu. Now since this was airing on the Documentary Channel it might have had some slight edits. But it didn't seem to be missing anything.

If you are a fan of Lovecraft's works. Or someone that knows the name and doesn't know much about him this is worth tracking down. Lovecraft fear of the unknown gets a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment