Sunday, June 24, 2012

Archie comics overview

 
I really can't remember when I read my first Archie comic. But it had to be in the mid to late 70s. By the time I was 10 or so I was buying the various Archie digests. And had become a huge fan of Lil Archie and Sabrina the teenage witch. Well as I became a teenager I quit reading the Archie stuff. For years I didn't even think about Archie. Then while I was in boot camp one of my friends had his mom mailing him a Archie digest every week. And since we all had nothing really to read that digest got passed around most of the platoon. Well when I got out of the army I would a few times a year pick up a digest and read it. Then fast forward to 2008. I had a job where I worked for 11 hours 4 nights a week. But during that 11 hour shift I really only had to work about 3 hours,so I was looking for stuff to help me pass the time. Well I started buying every Archie digest I could find in this small town I live in. Then I saw that you could buy the older digest direct from Archie comics. So I put in an order for about 40 digests. Around this time I also discovered that the local Fox channel was showing the "Archie's Weird Mysteries" show every morning. So I started recording them. I loved the show and thanks to the internet was able to track down and buy every issue of the Weird Mysteries comic book.  Well in the middle of 2009 I left that job. And kind of just stopped buying the Archie digests. I pretty much forgot about Archie again. Then I discovered that there is a weekly Archie comics podcast. A link to it should be on the right hand side of the screen. Called the Riverdale Podcast,this show is a one man production. Jonathan Merrifield is the host,and his love of all things Archie shines through in each episode. He puts up a new show each Saturday,and normally each episode is 20 minutes tops.

Now I have been reading Archie comics off and on for over 30 years now. And I have a few questions that seem like they will never be answered. Like why does Jughead most of the time wear a shirt with a big "S" on the front? Or why does Archie bother chasing after Betty and Veronica,when Josie and Sabrina are also right there?

Here is some links to my reviews of 2 issues of Archie comics.

Jughead's Soul Food review

Jughead #327 Punk vs Funk issue

No comments:

Post a Comment