Monday, October 17, 2011

31 days of horror year 3 Music 01

The Browns
Greatest Hits volume one
Meter Records

I have always since I was about 10 been a fan of punk rock. And of course I love horror stuff. So bands like The Misfits I have loved. Well about 2 years ago on a horror podcast I use to listen to the host played an acoustic version of a song off this album. I loved it. So I did a quick search and got this album.We get 13 tracks plus a hidden track at the end of the album.

The first track is Lady Stay Dead. Which is one of the few that I can't figure out which horror movie/TV show this is based on. But it is a nice combo of a Ramones style song with horror lyrics.

Second track is Reggiemania. A song about Reggie Banister. The song seems to be coming from Mike from Phantasm's point of view. Great upbeat song that is fun to sing along with.

Track 3 is Emmanuelle. Based on the various Emmanuelle movies,that I used to watch the fuck out of late at night on Showtime. This is a slower song. That isn't bad.

Fourth track is Torso. I must assume this is inspired by the Italian film of the same name. Now I have never seen the movie So I have no idea if the song has much from the movie in it.

Track 5 is Ghoulita. It doesn't seem to be based on any one horror film. But it is about a guy who has a new girlfriend. Nice punk rock love song.

Sixth track is Wolfmobilemania. This is a great fast paced song about a car. Lots of catchy hooks and one I love to blast loudly while I am driving.

Track 7 is American Werewolf in Calgary.This is my favorite song on the entire album. It is about a guy trying to figure out how to explain to his girlfriend that he is a werewolf.

Eighth track is Blood sucking freaks. With lyrics describing the infamous Blood Sucking Freaks movie. One of the fastest songs on the album.

Track 9 is Silent Night Deadly Night.Now I do love this song,but there is a acoustic version that I think is better. This is about how Santa is pissed off that someone didn't leave milk and cookies out for him.

Tenth track is The Corpse Grinders.And is my least favorite songs on the album.The lyrics don't make a bit of sense.

Track 11 is Tura. This is a great tribute song to the late Tura Satanna.The lead singer talks about Tura is dream girl.

12th track is House of Whipcord. Based on the British horror film of the same name. This is a slower song but has a great bass line that will stick in your head.

Track 13 is the last real track on the album. It is titled Last House on the left. It is about a girl inviting a guy over to have sex,and of course she lives in the last house on the left. Amazing song to sing along with.

Then there is the hidden track. It starts up about 10 minutes after track 13 ends.And it is a live recording of Last house on the left with the band interacting with the audience.

Now I have heard that The Browns have broken up. And with them being from Vancouver Canada there was really now way I could have seen them live. I wish I could have. From the research I have done it seems they only put out 2 full length albums. And this was their second one. I would give the album a A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment