Friday, September 25, 2026

Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison

 



Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison 

Noticed ,maybe,I have slowed  down again here at the blog. 2  entries a month  instead  of 4. Big part  of that is  I have been going through my comic collection  and  reading stuff I have had for years. While doing this  I  found my full run of Vol 2 of Doom Patrol. Wanted to re-read the run  written by Grant  Morrison,issues 19-63. Didn't want  another big stack of loose single  issues laying around. Saw  I could get it all in  TPB  in 6 vols for a bit under 8 bucks a volume. Maybe the order and a week later got them in.Since if I  can sleep I will read some from this run. A run I was reading as  it happened decades ago.

Doom Patrol was a team I heard about from my Uncle. So  when that 70s return happened,and quickly fizzled out,I  was there. Enjoyed it and wanted more. Then  vol 2 is  announced. I grab  it  and like  it but  after about 8 issues it dropped  lower  in my  reading stack. Back then  I read every comic I bought,wish i still did that,just I would stack them in how much I wanted to read  something. 

Issue 19 came  out  I bought it and added it  to the  stack. Not  even noticing it  had a new  writer. Maybe 2 weeks later was in a comic  shop that I wasn't in often.  Heard  the cashier  telling someone they needed to read the new DP issue. Got up to the counter with  my huge stack  of 80s indies  from the quarter bins,asked the cashier what was  up with  DP and just got told "Go home  read it next". I did and  yea I saw why  he  told me that.

Grant  Morrison  took this team that many at the time saw as DC's xerox  of the X-men and made it  a  book  about identity. About mental illness and dealing with chronic  illness. The stories  got weird,like when the  Brother Hood of Dada ran  Mr Nobody for  President. We lost a pile of the  70s team  members. Tempest hung around but didnt use his  powers and was  the team medic. Cliff Steele ends up in a mental hospital and  meets Jane,a lady with 63 personalities and each has super powers.

The Doom Patrol gains what has to be the most unique Headquarters/transportation in Danny the Street. A living  street that  is connected to everywhere at once. 

After all this just weird stuff ,but even with all that the light  tone  of the book stayed,there is  a twist. One I hate spoiling,so maybe skip the rest of this  post, While  Cliff,Jane,Rebis(which  is  Negative Man and  Negative  WOman combined into one being) fighting some odd villain Joshua(the former Tempest) is back at the  base  with Dorthy Spanner(who  can bring her  imaginary friends to life) and  the Chief. Oh the Chief,he  was cranky  in  the old Silver Age stories and over the course  of Morrison's run  he is  shown to be  an  asshole. The Chief shoots Joshua,and when this is discovered by  Cliff we learn  that all  the accidents  that created the  Silver Age Doom Patrol were caused by  the  Chief. All part of  his  big plan to take  over the  world.  With nano bots.

That  gets prevented. Thanks to this evil being  called  the Candle Maker,who  is connected to Dorthy,but in this happening Crazy Jane is sent to Hell.  By  this time it  is obvious Cliff (Robotman) and Jane  are in love. 

The final issue of Morrison's run,issue  63  up  at the top,is the perfect  ending  for this series. Jane is in the real world. She is in  a  mental hospital and keeps telling  everyone that she must get  back  to stop the  Candle Maker. One doctor  wants to help Jane another just wanted to give her shock  treatment. The one  wanting  the shock treatment  gets his way. Jane gets  shocked. Leaves the hospital and goes out.Works a normal job and  goes home each day.  

Till  one day she leaves a note. Goes to a nearby bridge and  is about to jump. When Cliff appears. He has been using  Danny the street to travel  the multiverse to find Jane. And we end with them going onto Danny and leaving.

Like Preacher,like  Swamp Thing,after  all the craziness and violence the  story ends with our two  leads finally together and  off to  live a happy life.

Got  read this run.  Go see the 4 season tv show that is semi-based on  this run. 


No comments:

Post a Comment