TITLE-Manhunter
SOURCE-Early 80s DC reprint
When I was still young and hitting a comic shop I would hear the old guys talking about the infamous 70s Manhunter run. When this above pictured comic came out one of them jokingly gave me some shit for not buying it. $2.50 was half my weekly comic budget back then and the new GI Joe was out.
Now many decades later I have read it. Thanks to me not reading closely I didn't realize the copy I had bought was being shipped from Canada. So 13 bucks for shipping and 2 weeks later I had a copy. Thought about it and decided against reading it all in one sitting. Nah pace it out. One chapter every day or so.
So each night normally after dinner I would read a chapter. And I see why this is acclaimed. Plus see how it had major influences on stuff I was reading not many years after this. Yes Frank Miller credits managa and mostly Lone Wolf and Cub for his page and panel layouts on his Daredevil run. I see a pile of influence from this short run of Manhunter.
Until the ending chapter where Batman shows up this feels more like a spy thriller than a 70s Superhero story from DC. Paul Kirk is back from the dead. He has a healing factor and is on the run from The Council. A group of powerful men that are slowly taking control of the world. Besides clones of himself ,Paul also has a Interpol Agent on his tail.
I rather not spoil much of the story cause of how good it is. Word of warning if you find older comics wordy this is a WORDY comic. But even then it reads fast. Just a masterclass of words and drawings to create a run that ended sadly too soon.
Manhunter by Archie Goodwin(writer) and Walter Simonson(Artist) gets a A+

No comments:
Post a Comment